Monday 17 August 2009

Shows for Non-English Speakers

I've been asked for recommendations for shows that would be appreciated by non-English speakers at the fringe...

My first thought was Gamarojobot, a Japanese mime act who often perform a mixture of magic and mime on the High Street and usually do a full show at a venue as well.

I say usually, because unfortunately I haven't seen them listed this year.... so on to the shows that are.....

The Soweto Gospel Choir are Fringe veterans. They've been coming for years and always get good reviews. I've only seen them on the street busking/promoting, and heard them on the radio. I've never seen a full show, but I have no doubt they will be impressive.

I saw the group running "Venezuela Viva" three years ago and although there is a storyline to the show, it's bursting with energy and is mainly dance based. It got 5* reviews all round and the girl I was seeing at the time loved it.

Tao - Samurai Magical Drumming I think would be another safe show to see although I know less about it.

The "Dance and Physical Theatre" section will have more ideas. The Japanese/Eastern dance acts are always spectacular.

If I spot anything of interest I'll add it to this post.

Here's a couple more:

The Magnets at the E4 Udderbelly are worth a look. They creata a big band sound using only their voices.

Or you could hang out at Whistlebinkies and see the best Scottish traditional and contemporary music. They have stuff on all day during the fringe.

No comments: